The Alexa Chemical building was constructed in 1896 by the Chemical Building Company as new facilities for the Chemical national bank, although it was never actually used in that capacity. A few notable Saint Louis business occupied space here over the years including a school for secretaries and even the legendary local cafeteria called Miss Hullings, which opened its first location here.
The building is mostly vacant now and has been for a long time. But a recent foreclosure and purchase means the building will likely be renovated very soon.
Source: National Records Historic Nomination Form.