BG

Sunday, December 11, 2011

Beaumont Telephone Exchange

The Beaumont Telephone Exchange was constructed in 1902 as a branch office and exchange for the Bell Telephone Company. This building represents one of few remaining examples of the period of rapid growth in the telephone industry in the early 1900's.

In November of 1877, Alexander Graham Bell's American Telephone and Telegraph company granted a license to expand service to Saint Louis. Early on, George Durant, the general manager of ADT (the American District Telegraph Company), leased equipment for private lines. Eventually it was decided that a central switchboard would be more efficient. Thus having started with twelve subscribers in 1878, this would be the first exchange in what would later be known as the Southwestern Bell Telephone Company. By 1880, this new company had 600 subscribers. Soon they outgrew their offices and moved from 417 Olive to 902 Olive and finally, in 1902, to their present location, where it was said to be "one of the best equipped of modern exchanges".

Over the years, as advances in technology were made, additions were made to the building which directly reflect the exchange adapting to meet them. This building served the telephone services industry throughout its entire career up until the mid 1990's. It was used for a few years as a training center, but eventually the equipment must have simply become too obsolete for even that role. It has been vacant ever since.

This wasn't our first trip here. My first visit was 3 years prior and you can see it here.

Source: National Record Historic Nomination Form

Sunday, November 20, 2011

St. Mark's School

This Catholic School closed in 1975.

Friday, November 4, 2011

Falstaff Brewery Plant 10

This is the site of the former Falstaff Brewery Plant #10 in Saint Louis. For a complete history, see: Falstaff History

This location was originally home to Wm. Stumpf's Brewery, and was constructed in 1853. The name Stumpf remained throughout various partnerships and acquisitions until 1877 when the short-lived Thamer Brewing Company took over. Two years later, Anton Griesedieck came into the picture, but ownership would revolve around between The Miller Bros, The Saint Louis Brewing Association and the Consumers Brewing Company before finally returning to the Griesedieck Bros.

In 1920, Joseph Griesedieck approached his good friend William J. Lemp II, of the now infamous Lemp Brewing Company with his offer to buy the rights to the Falstaff name as well as the familiar shield logo. He managed to work out a deal with Lemp to brew his famous Falstaff beer at this facility. Under Griesedieck control, the company continued to thrive-even enduring beyond prohibition-until 1957 when it became The Falstaff Brewing Company.

The next 18 years marked the peak of success for the brewing giant. All that would change, however, when on April 28th 1975 a man named Paul Kalmanovitz bought out controlling share of Falstaff Brewing Company. Under Mr. Kalmanovitz, the company plummets, lays off thousands, and abandons and subsequently demolishes many former breweries. Pabst, a former competitor with family marriage ties to the Lemps, was the last to produce beer bearing the Falstaff name and recognizable shield. The beer's life finally ceased on April 15, 2005.

The Falstaff Brewery was designed by the renowned architectural firm E. Jungenfeld and Company. The same firm designed many breweries around the country including, but not limited to, the Lemp and Anheuser-Busch Breweries as well as many other interesting and well made brick buildings in the area throughout the late 1800's-early 1900's. Their work includes impressive brickwork and cornices, numerous tall arched windows and heavy iron staircases. A feature which makes this building unique is the caves that lie beneath the complex at the base of some very rickety stairs. The caves extent is not fully known, however, due to the fact that it is flooded.

Thanks to the work of Mr. Kalmanovitz, this location is abandoned and has been deteriorating since 1977.

Falstaff Brewery Saint Louis © 2014 sublunar

Falstaff Brewery Saint Louis © 2014 sublunar

Falstaff Brewery Saint Louis © 2014 sublunar

Falstaff Brewery Saint Louis © 2014 sublunar

Falstaff Brewery Saint Louis © 2014 sublunar

Falstaff Brewery Saint Louis © 2014 sublunar

Falstaff Brewery Saint Louis © 2014 sublunar

Falstaff Brewery Saint Louis © 2014 sublunar

Falstaff Brewery Saint Louis © 2014 sublunar

Falstaff Brewery Saint Louis © 2014 sublunar

Falstaff Brewery Saint Louis © 2014 sublunar

Falstaff Brewery Saint Louis © 2014 sublunar

Falstaff Brewery Saint Louis © 2014 sublunar

Falstaff Brewery Saint Louis © 2014 sublunar

Falstaff Brewery Saint Louis © 2014 sublunar

Falstaff Brewery Saint Louis © 2014 sublunar

Falstaff Brewery Saint Louis © 2014 sublunar

Falstaff Brewery Saint Louis © 2014 sublunar

Falstaff Brewery Saint Louis © 2014 sublunar

Falstaff Brewery Saint Louis © 2014 sublunar

Falstaff Brewery Saint Louis © 2014 sublunar

Falstaff Brewery Saint Louis © 2014 sublunar

Falstaff Brewery Saint Louis © 2014 sublunar

Falstaff Brewery Saint Louis © 2014 sublunar

Falstaff Brewery Saint Louis © 2014 sublunar

Falstaff Brewery Saint Louis © 2014 sublunar

Falstaff Brewery Saint Louis © 2014 sublunar

Falstaff Brewery Saint Louis © 2014 sublunar

Falstaff Brewery Saint Louis © 2014 sublunar

Falstaff Brewery Saint Louis © 2014 sublunar

Falstaff Brewery Saint Louis © 2014 sublunar

Falstaff Brewery Saint Louis © 2014 sublunar

Bats

Falstaff Brewery Saint Louis © 2014 sublunar

Falstaff Brewery Saint Louis © 2014 sublunar

Falstaff Brewery Saint Louis © 2014 sublunar

Falstaff Brewery Saint Louis © 2014 sublunar

Falstaff Brewery Saint Louis © 2014 sublunar

Falstaff Brewery Saint Louis © 2014 sublunar

Falstaff Brewery Saint Louis © 2014 sublunar