BG

Thursday, December 4, 2014

The Old Military Hospital

The old Military Hospital traces its history back to 1798 when President John Adams established the first Marine Hospital Service as a precursor to the U.S. Public Health Service. Its mission was to provide medical services for injured riverboat workers. The first hospital was destroyed when the river changed course and the new hospital opened in this location as its replacement in 1884. The 1884 hospital was soon obsolete and the rise in demand for medical care necessitated its replacement which was completed in 1936 at the cost of 1 million dollars. The hospital would expand its services to include a variety of Armed Forces personnel and their families along with other government employees. The hospital was once situated in a busy neighborhood, but a new interstate was constructed directly through the core of downtown, cutting it off from the rest of the neighborhood and the struggling hospital eventually closed in the mid 1960's. The Federal Government owned the majority of the property and used it for a variety of purposes continuing its service to Military personnel until 2004.

Currently, the site is well maintained and actively secured.

This is part 7 of 7 from a recent road trip.

The Military Hospital © 2014 sublunar

The Military Hospital © 2014 sublunar

The Military Hospital © 2014 sublunar

The Military Hospital © 2014 sublunar

The Military Hospital © 2014 sublunar

The Military Hospital © 2014 sublunar

The Military Hospital © 2014 sublunar

The Military Hospital © 2014 sublunar

The Military Hospital © 2014 sublunar

The Military Hospital © 2014 sublunar

The Military Hospital © 2014 sublunar

The Military Hospital © 2014 sublunar

The Military Hospital © 2014 sublunar

The Military Hospital © 2014 sublunar

The Military Hospital © 2014 sublunar

The Military Hospital © 2014 sublunar

The Military Hospital © 2014 sublunar

The Military Hospital © 2014 sublunar

The Military Hospital © 2014 sublunar

The Military Hospital © 2014 sublunar

The Military Hospital © 2014 sublunar

The Military Hospital © 2014 sublunar

The Military Hospital © 2014 sublunar

The Military Hospital © 2014 sublunar

The Military Hospital © 2014 sublunar

The Military Hospital © 2014 sublunar

The Military Hospital © 2014 sublunar

The Military Hospital © 2014 sublunar

The Military Hospital © 2014 sublunar

The Military Hospital © 2014 sublunar

The Military Hospital © 2014 sublunar

The Military Hospital © 2014 sublunar

Wednesday, December 3, 2014

Nuclear Power Plant

The Nuclear Power Plant is owned by a large and powerful organization that would prefer everyone just forget it exists-and that they spent 2 billion dollars to build an abandoned concrete jungle that they never used.

This is part 6 of 7 from a recent road trip.

See our previous trip here.

UPDATE: Check out my short video of this place here.

Nuclear Power Plant © 2014 sublunar

Nuclear Power Plant © 2014 sublunar

Nuclear Power Plant © 2014 sublunar

Nuclear Power Plant © 2014 sublunar

Nuclear Power Plant © 2014 sublunar

Nuclear Power Plant © 2014 sublunar

Nuclear Power Plant © 2014 sublunar

Nuclear Power Plant © 2014 sublunar

Nuclear Power Plant © 2014 sublunar

Nuclear Power Plant © 2014 sublunar

Nuclear Power Plant © 2014 sublunar

Nuclear Power Plant © 2014 sublunar

Nuclear Power Plant © 2014 sublunar

Nuclear Power Plant © 2014 sublunar

Nuclear Power Plant © 2014 sublunar

Nuclear Power Plant © 2014 sublunar

Nuclear Power Plant © 2014 sublunar